Monday, June 14, 2010

What is eating my squashes??


Dear Garden Blogosphere,
Can you identify what bug is causing this damage? (I'm assuming it's a bug because the leaves are chewed on but there's no stem damage a la birds or rabbits, the latter of which would have to climb over my 1' fencing to get into this bed.)

I have seen earwigs in the soil lately, thanks to numerous recent downpours. Other thoughts? The dreaded squash vine borer?


Most importantly, what can I do about it? Suggestions not including the use of poisonous chemicals would be most appreciated.


Hope to hear from you soon!

4 comments:

Gatsbys Gardens said...

Looks like slug damage because of all the rain. They are eating my basil and many of my plants, even the ones in the baskets.

I use a non-toxic to pets and vegetable gardens. Both Bonide and Espoma make these products.

Eileen

Rose said...

If you're not seeing any insects, it must not be the squash beetles that usually get to mine. Gatsbys' suggestion about slugs sounds logical. For the first time, I'm having problems with them with my hostas.

I hope someone can give you a better answer than mine, Rose!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Could be earwigs or slugs. I'd use the slug stuff Eileen mentioned and then you could try the rolled up wet newspaper for the earwigs. I've never had much luck with that, though.

Ramble on Rose said...

Thank you Eileen! Slugs seem very likely, as they are a problem around here in other parts of the garden.

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails