Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bloom Day: Rained Out

Well, not entirely, but close to it. Over the weekend I was mentally kicking myself for writing a long post looking all through the garden when Bloom Day, hosted by Carol at May Dreams Garden, was only a few days away (which I had kind of forgotten about).

(Phlox drummondi)

But now I'm glad I lived in the garden's moment, because near constant rain over the last few days has stripped away most flowers.

Here's a look at what the salvia and sand coreopsis (C. lanceolata) looked like pre-rain:


The dianthus is going strong, thanks to it being protected by the yews.


Even some columbine blooms are still hanging on, although most are on their way to becoming seed pods.


The 'Plumosa' salvia is in full bloom, but it's splaying all over the place (to again borrow a phrase from Carol). You wouldn't know that these are actually being held up by stakes right now!


In one of the back borders near the rain garden my most horrid color clash is underway: pink spireas and bright red daylilies.


I was a little short-sighted about planting those spireas, and I do plan to get around to moving them. Individually the blooms are pretty...

...icy pink...


...and deep red...

...just not right next to each other.

Despite the rain damage there should be much more in store. Currently things in bud include big-leaved aster (Eurybia macrophylla), sweet joe-pye weed (Eupatorium maculatum), swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata), rattlesnake master (Eryngium yuccifolium), and the new roses. One started to bloom the tiniest, hesitant flower, a bit of a preview.

10 comments:

Chloe m said...

No heckling here. I love your blooms, esp coreopsis.

Katie said...

Awww, that's too bad about the rain. That's the thing about gardening, right? You really can't plan everything.

But gosh darn, how annoying is it when the weather wrecks things!

I was terrified that my giant rudbeckias would get knocked down in a storm before I got their pictures!

Happy Bloom Day! Glad you participated, even with the rain.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

It's sad when staked plants still flop. What is with this weather? I like pink & red together, just not that pink with that red. The pink & red of the Dianthus is what I'm talking about. It's so pretty. Good thing it is protected. My Dianthus blooms all turned to mush.

Rose said...

Lol, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with clashing colors in the garden:) Do you know what daylily yours is? I have the very same one!

I'm tired of rain-outs, too. Unlike the ballgames where they show old documentaries during rain delays, the action keeps on going in my garden--that is, the weeds:) Glad the Cubs managed to squeak one win out of their series with the Sox:)

Ramble on Rose said...

Rosey--Thanks! Those coreopsis are doing great this year!

Katie--I have the same fear about flowers getting knocked down by rain. I always worry about my joe-pye weed, but they usually hold up well in the end.

MMD--Good question! I'm glad I haven't had to water, but it's getting a little ridiculous. And you know we'll probably have a drought through July and August.

Rose--I don't know what the daylily is but I wish I did! It was here when we moved in (as were most of the daylilies).

I felt bad for Ted Lilly on Sunday. If we were going to lose, at least let the guy get a no-hitter!

garden girl said...

The rain sure has been messing up a lot of plans, but I'm glad for the freedom from watering this month!

Diane said...

Stupid rain - it's beating everything down here, too. Poor salvias have been working so hard they're lying down on the job!

Sylvana said...

Oh, I saw that 'Plumosa' salvia the other night on a walk and said to my husband that I just had to find out what variety it was. Thank you!! It's so beautiful and generally well behaved.

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

Wow, what a rain! I'm glad your garden will recover. We had twelve inches in 24 hours a week or so ago, but it didn't rain so hard as to strip everything bare. Happy Bloom Day a bit late.~~Dee

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

what a sweet little phlox...

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails