Friday, March 26, 2010

Baby Plants


The seed-o-rama continues! There are batches of seedlings all over my house, in various stages of growth. The top row left to right is agastache and alchemilla, coreopsis 'Sunfire', pesto basil (nearer the window), Greek basil (away from the window), and rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'. Bottom row left to right is aquilegia and allium cernuum, cosmos, phlox drummondi in the foreground with Thai basil right behind it, and some more phlox barely making it into the picture.

Here's a closer look...


These are some of the Aquilegia canadensis that I started before most of the other plants in the flat.

You can see they're starting to develop their true leaves (sorry for the blurriness; even a good camera can't overcome my struggles with photography!).


Because I have more seedlings than I have space, I'm using the regular flat with its little seed compartments, some plastic pots I've saved from other plant purchases, and these peat pots. I've stolen drainage trays from numerous houseplants to temporarily support the various seedlings. That white plastic bag you see is my very classy cover for some broccoli seeds that I just started today. The package of DiCicco broccoli from Botanical Interests recommends to direct sow them, but I feel a little antsy about not starting any vegetable seeds indoors. There are still plenty of seeds left in the packet for direct sowing too.

I'm pleased with the germination rates and growth I've got so far, but we still have a long way to go. It feels like it should be well into spring already, but the temperature is still in the 30s today and the truth is the weather can't really be trusted for a few more weeks. All of these seedlings need a lot more time to grow and develop true leaves before the hardening off process begins.

Did you start seeds indoors? How are they doing?

5 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Those little seedlings are so cute, especially the Columbines. I'm in awe of your set up (but then I don't do indoor seed starting). I'm getting antsy to be out there planting too, so I satisfied that craving by dividing some Galanthus.

garden girl said...

Very nice Rose! Looks like you've got a great head start on the season.

I've got pepper, tomato, watercress, and a bunch of native plants started in the basement. Most of them are doing great, but I've got one tray of natives (none supposedly requiring stratification or scarification,) planted for over a month that aren't doing anything. It's odd.

Maybe the seeds were too old, but I'll probably give them a go with some new seed starting soil I got that's made with coir. According to the package, it provides a higher germination rate, so I'll give it try.

Rose said...

Looks like you have a great start to the season, Rose! I just started some of my seeds this past week, because I wanted to wait until I was home from my trip to keep an eye on them. Nothing has sprouted yet, but in a few days I hope to see some green. I made a few of the newspaper pots that Frances posted about one day, and I'm curious to see how that works out. It's certainly the least expensive type of container.

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

I know what you mean about not trusting the weather. I keep seeing balmy days in the forecast but then we get days like today where it's still in the 30's out there. I tried growing seeds this year (not something I normally do) and although the germination rate was good, they always seem to struggle. I've got them back on a heat pad now. It looks like you are having great success. But you're going to have a lot of planting to do soon! :-)

Gail said...

These early days of spring are so misleading! I know that since you posted this the temps have zoomed up...but even here where it's going to be 80F today that next week it might frost! We keep plenty of old sheets handy to cover everything if a frost is pending! Btw, What nice seed babies you have... gail

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails