Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wildflower Wednesday--Nodding Wild Onion


Nodding wild onion (Allium cernuum) is a dainty member of the onion family that blooms with icy pink-nearly white clusters of dangling flowers.


These plants were passalongs from Mr. McGregor's Daughter, and they are thriving in part sun. They're mixed with a number of other prairie natives, including rattlesnake master (Eryngium yuccifolium), yellow coneflower (Ratbida pinnata), Short's aster (A. shortii), wild hyacinth (Camassia scilloides) and 'Twilite' baptisias. As this is a new border, most of those have finished blooming or are gearing up for next year.

For more wildflowers this Wednesday, see Gail at Clay and Limestone!

8 comments:

A Garden of Threads said...

I love the Nodding Wild Onion. They are so tough, I have moved it in the middle of the summer and had no problems.

Linda said...

Don't you just love plants that have been shared with you by other gardeners. The wild onion blooms are so pretty.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I have the allium in my garden too but it is hiding between the big white spruce and the neighbours fence. Have to move them I guess. Thanks for sharing today.

Gail said...

I like this onion and need to beg some seeds from MMD! Rose, I am so glad you join us each WW in celebrating our natives! gail

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

They look very happy in your garden. I'm glad you're enjoying them. Hah - nobody needs to beg, I'm more than happy to unload some of the bulbs. I just wish mine were more pink, like the ones in Grigsby Prairie.

Rose said...

I noticed your header photo last time and meant to ask you what they were; thanks for the i.d.! I've come to love all the different forms of allium, and the blooms of this one must look so pretty nodding in the breeze.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I think those are a bit different from the ones I have. I sure like them. I grow rattlesnake master, too. It's a fun plant!

Dig, Grow, Compost, Blog said...

I was just reading about nodding onion the other day, thinking it might be interesting to try. I think the blooms are really nice.

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails