Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tulipomania!

It's Tulipomania around here! We've got pink ones...


...species ones (T. linifolia, I believe; like most of the tulips, they came with the house)...


...some more purple and yellow ones not pictured here and of course...

...the 'El Cids'!

They waited for me to get home to put on their show, and overall they're delightful. You can see their frosted outer stripe, paintbrush strokes of magenta, and purple stems.


They're not as purple as I had been led to believe by the Brent & Becky's catalog, but it actually worked out OK because the yellow tulips nearby feature petals lined almost imperceptibly with red (click to enlarge if needed).


The color combo is quite nice, and the soft cream of the 'City of Haarlem' hyacinths isn't bad either. The only downside is that some of the flowers are a little deformed, as you can see to the right of this picture:


It's probably the shoddy soil quality or lack of sun. But despite the little imperfections this small spring bulb vignette has fanned my Tulipomania.

6 comments:

Rose said...

The 'El Cids' are stunning, and they really complement the yellow tulips next to them. I haven't met a tulip I didn't like:) I think this fall will see me getting into tulipomania again and planting many more bulbs.

Gatsbys Gardens said...

I really loe those El Cid's. I am going to have to look them up for nexxt spring.

Eileen

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

El Cid is a winner with the feathering of color. You've got a great grouping there, even if some of the blooms are a little off. Just stand farther away.
I've learned to take color descriptions with a grain of salt. Sometimes you just have to see a plant in person.

beckie said...

Wow, those El Cids are gorgeous! Not really a parrot tulip-more like an artist had a go at them. I can see why tulipmania has come to your garden.

Ramble on Rose said...

Rose--I also envision much more bulb buying this fall. I want to extend this little clump of tulips and hyacinths across a large portion of this border.

GG--Thanks! Sadly Brent & Becky's didn't have them in their catalog for this fall. You may want to do some research.

MMD--I agree. Size, habit, color, all sorts of things about a plant can only really be understood in person.

Beckie--Thanks! I wish I had ordered more!

garden girl said...

They sure are pretty Rose. How sweet of El Cid to wait for your return!

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails