Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

I must admit that I'm not really doing anything special to commemorate Earth Day. Today is a day of work and child-rearing like any other. I hope that my everyday actions are sufficient to make just a little difference, and I intend to continue doing those things (i.e., recycling, composting, remembering to bring my reusable grocery bags to the store, growing land-friendly plants, reducing my driving time in my very un-green SUV, etc.)

The weather has finally cleared up around here after yet another sputtering gasp of winter that kept things cold and rainy for the last few days. So in honor of Earth Day and the lovely weather it brought with it, I'd like to say thanks to my little corner of the planet for the following things that I am very grateful for:

This great blue lobelia (L. siphilitica) has been drowning in the overflow from my gutters lately. I purposely put it in such a poorly drained spot, and it's performing beautifully. It's getting bigger and greener every day!


This tulip is the first one in my garden to bud, and I hope that with the sunny, warm weather that's coming tomorrow it will flower soon.


I lost the plant tag for this goldenrod, which is now about three years old. I've been waiting patiently for it to get established and really flourish, and I think this might be the year! Its foliage is off to a very good start.


Last year I was angry with this astilbe for being such a water-hog, and I was sure my neglect killed it. It withered and disappeared early in the summer, and I felt guilty but also resentful. To my surprise, it's still alive and growing quite well. I just discovered it last week, still being a trooper despite my poor treatment of it. I have resolved to be nicer to this plant and I truly love its fuzzy foliage and unique flowers. I'm glad it's back!


So enjoy Earth Day everyone, and remember to be nice to the planet not just today but every day!

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails