Sunday, February 15, 2015

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day—February 2015

Mid-February means outdoor blooms are nowhere near in my garden. Despite relatively warm temperatures over the last couple weeks (until another recent Arctic blast), we're still under a blanket of snow, and I don't bother with snowdrops anyway. However, I do have my orchid still blooming strong:

I've been following the directions that came with it...water every 10 days or so, avoid getting the leaves wet, and that's pretty much it. Some petals are looking a bit ragged but overall it's doing OK, even though it's exposed to a cold window and hot blasts from a nearby vent. Hopefully this trend continues, and I may branch out to some more of these beauties.

Speaking of orchids, the annual Orchid Show just opened at the Chicago Botanic Garden. I'm hoping that I can find some time to stop by this year! I've always wanted to learn more about orchids, plus this seems like an obvious opportunity to add a few to my houseplant collection. It runs through March 15th. If you have a chance to make it there, please let me know what you think!

Also blooming today is this great bouquet that I received from my mother-, father- and grandmother-in-law, in celebration of finishing chemotherapy! It's even Breast Cancer Awareness pink...a nice touch in the dreary February doldrums.

But no Valentine's Day roses to show?? I imagine there's plenty out there in the blogosphere on this Bloom Day. My husband and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day because both our birthdays are in January and our wedding anniversary was earlier this month. That means we've celebrated Christmas, New Year's, both birthdays, and our anniversary within the last six weeks. By Valentine's Day, we're all holiday-ed out. (Although there was a great bouquet of red roses for our anniversary but it didn't make it to Bloom Day.)

So check out May Dreams Gardens to see more of what's in bloom in warmer climates and in vases across the nation!

3 comments:

Rose said...

I just purchased my first orchid, and the instructions with it were pretty limited. Thanks for mentioning not getting the leaves wet--I probably would have doused it in the shower at some point:) A lovely bouquet to celebrate something much more meaningful than Valentine's Day!

Commonweeder said...

I love your orchid and all your celebrations. I am visualizing many more celebrations in the many years to come.

Diane said...

I am so out of the loop - I haven't been reading garden blogs since I moved from Chicago to Colorado, but today I read back a few months in your blog and what a surprise! I am so happy that you're doing well. Your cheery spirit will see you through, along with all the pretty flowers. And spring is coming, so they say :) Muchas hugs!

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails