Sunday, August 14, 2011

August Bloom Day

Can you believe it's the middle of August already?! Neither can I, but I'm pleased that I can share many blooms at this point of the year, when often my garden is past its prime.

Maybe it was the weird weather earlier this season, with a slow start to summer, but the Joe-Pye weed (Eupatorium maculatum) is just now reaching its peak.


The 'David' phloxes and hyssops (Agastache foeniculum) are also in full glory in my front border.


In the rain garden, the cardinal flowers (Lobelia cardinalis) and obedient plants (Physostegia virginiana) are making an interesting color combo.


Normally I'm not the biggest fan of reds and pinks together, but honestly I don't mind it here in this naturalistic-style planting.


My fears about the yellow coneflowers out-competing the nodding wild onion were clearly unfounded: the Allium cernuum is doing just fine!


The first asters blooming here are the big-leaved asters (Eurybia macrophylla), with a bottlebrush grass (Hystrix patula) making a cameo "bloom"...


...and even a random 'Sunfire' coreopsis is making a re-blooming appearance!

So the unusual year that is 2011 continues...to see more stop by May Dreams Garden where Carol most graciously hosts Bloom Day every 15th!

Also blooming:
Hostas
Cilantro
Dill
Borage
Unnamed Rudbeckia
Bellflowers (Campanula)
Oregano
Yellow coneflowers (Ratbida pinnata)
Purple coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea)
Prairie dropseed (Sporobolus heterolepis)

4 comments:

garden girl said...

Great blooms Rose! I didn't used to like red and pink together either, but in the last few years I've become much more easygoing about color combinations. Nice shot of the cardinal flowers. I find it a little hard to get good photos of cardinal flowers with their very saturated red.

The Sage Butterfly said...

Lovely blooms and combinations! Happy GBBD!

scottweberpdx said...

Lovely post...love that pairing of the Phlox and Agastache...so subtle and beautiful!

Rose said...

A belated happy Bloom Day, Rose! I love your cardinal flower--that's one I don't have much luck with here. And seeing the Joe Pye in bloom is always a treat. Although you've had some different weather than we, I do think this year has been a little strange, with some blooms early and others later than normal.

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails