Friday, July 31, 2009

Finally!


There is monarch butterfly in my yard! It's taken all summer, but one finally came to visit my Joe-Pye weed! I love how the flowerhead in the above picture is bending towards the butterfly, as if acknowledging how long it's been and volunteering to help him out.

Here's a nice close-up:


Unfortunately this guy wasn't feeling very photogenic and I couldn't get a shot of him with wings opened. But the important part is that he was here in the first place. Then, when I wrapped up my little photo shoot he got spooked and flew away, so hopefully I'll see him again. This is the first butterfly I've seen actually hanging out here since that swallowtail that's in my header photo (which has obviously been there a long time). What great timing for getting the camera working again! Have a good weekend everybody!

3 comments:

Rose said...

Congratulations on the Monarch! I saw one here today, too, but of course, I didn't have my camera nearby. Instead, I spied a painted lady on the coneflowers and took about 25 pictures of it:) Maybe the butterflies were fooled by the cool weather earlier and didn't realize it was July already. Glad your camera is working again.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Great shot! Give your Joe Pye a hug for luring that beauty. Yesterday I was stalking a Swallowtail that was keen on the Coneflowers. Butterflies can be very skittish.

garden girl said...

Congratulations Rose - what a joy to see and photograph. Very nice shot!

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails